CacheStats uses the "GPX" file from the "My Finds" Pocket Query to calculate
your statistics. Note: to generate pocket queries, you must be a premium member of geocaching.com.
Step 1: Generate the My Finds Pocket Query
Go to the build pocket queries page of the geocaching.com website. Click on the "add to queue" button near the bottom of that page. It will look something like this:
Step 2: Download the Pocket Query
In a few minutes, you should receive an email that informs you that your pocket query is ready. Unlike some of your smaller pocket queries, the "my finds" pocket query will not be included as an email attachement. Instead, you must return to the pocket query page, click on the tab that says "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" and then click on the link that says "My Finds Pocket Query" to start the download:
The file will be in "zip" format. You can either save it as-is to a folder of your choice on your computer, or you can extract the gpx file out of the zip file. CacheStats works with either format, so choose whatever way works best for you. Important: Do not use EasyGPS to open and save the .gpx file because that strips out statistical information from the file.
Step 3: Open the Pocket Query with CacheStats
Once you have saved the zip file or extracted the gpx file, start CacheStats and click on the "Open GPX file" button and open the file you just saved.
Step 4: Do it again next week
You'll be able to generate just one My Finds query per week. In order to update your statistics to include your most recent finds, you will need to go through this procedure again in another week. Important #2: Each time you do this procedure, save the file in the same way that you did the first time and overwrite your previously saved file. CacheStats will then automatically load the file the next time you start it. In addition, since CacheStats creates its own data file based on the name of your gpx file (to save things such as your FTFs and favorites), it's very important that you use the same name for the GPX file each week.
Updating Your geocaching.com profile
To update your geocaching.com profile with statistics from CacheStats:
- Start cachestats then click the export to HTML button
- Add any text that you want to appear before or after your statistics. This will be remembered so you only have to do this once.
- Click Preview - this step isn't necessary, but does everything look OK here?
- Click Copy to Clipboard
- Go to your profile page at geocaching.com: click "edit my profile", then click on "change" in the profile details section, or simply click here
- Erase your old profile information: right click in the profile details area, click select all, press the Delete key
- Paste your new profile information: right click in the profile details area, click paste
- Click the save changes button on the bottom